One of the greatest works of art of all time. I never got to see it, but there’s a replica on a hill in Toscana which I have seen (and sketched).
Did you know:
- It took three years to complete.
- One of those years, it is rumoured, Michelangelo just stared at the marble.
- It’s carved out of a 14-foot block of Carrara marble.
- It was carved without a full-size model as a guide.
- When it was being transported by forty men to Palazzo Vecchio on 8 September 1504 onlookers threw stones at it because nudity was associated with pagan practices.
- There was a complaint that the nose was too big, so Michelangelo pretended to chisel at it for a while, even though he did not alter it.
- Michelangelo was only 26 when he got the commission in 1501 and he won it over many other more experienced sculptors at the time.