Themes I hope to cover in my talk on Mental Illness in Nineworlds Geekfest 2014
Radisson Blu Edwardian convention hotel at Heathrow, London
The talk is in Room 30, 11:45 to 1300hrs.
- Stigma: Why creative writers are of utmost importance in mental illness perception
- Nuancing suicide and self-harm
- The case of Electro-Convulsive Therapy
- True psychosis versus Hollywood psychosis
- Trauma, stress reactions, PTSD
- Apathy/avolition, social decline, and the “mad” supervillain
- Quick case study: Morpheus in Neil Gaiman’s ‘Sandman’
- Quick case study: Hannibal (TV) auto-immune encephalitis
- Quick case study: Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Episodes: ‘Normal Again’, ‘Hush’
- Quick case study: Angel, Episode ‘Damage’
- The problem of Split Personality
I’ll be taking questions as well. If you plan to attend and you have a burning topic you can add it to the comments section.
…Is perfect schlock.
It will remain an artifact of pure film-making ineptitude and if we ever send out an interstellar probe a digital recording of it should be included.
It must be allowed to join films like ‘Plan 9 From Outer Space’ on the lists of worst films ever made.
No, I’m not going to review it. Look, there’s a scene where an object falls into water without any ripples. The effects are that bad. This movie only works as a comedy or a kind of living art installation with which one could teach students how not to make films.